Sea animals are suffering and dying every minute due to human pollution. We are cluttering their home with plastic debris every second. Did you know that plastic is often mistaken as food by marine animals? This is resulting in over 100,000 marine animals that die every year from entanglement and ingestion and kills more than one million sea birds each year. Can you imagine a world without sea birds and marine life? It may be more of a reality than we think...
Here's a few ways to pitch in to reduce marine pollution:
- Anytime you see litter, regardless of what it is, pick it up and properly dispose of it.
- Remember to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. Reduce your usage of single-use plastics. reuse plastic packaging as many times as you can. Recycle rather than throw away.
- Avoid products with excessive packaging.
- If you are buying or plan to use a product that contains a plastic "six-pack" holder, be sure to cut it before disposing of it. In the ocean, these rings expand, often times tangling or choking wildlife. Also, be sure to stay away from plastic straws! If you happen to use one, please cut it up prior to disposing!
- Educate those around you and don't be afraid to talk trash to your friends and family. Spreading the word can change the world one person at a time!