The amount of plastic that is thrown away and swept into the ocean each day is more shocking than you think. Just when you think you can wrap your head around what is being thrown into our oceans, you're hit with more facts.
Did you know:
- Virtually every piece of plastic that was ever made still exists in some shape or form (with the exception of the small amount that has been incinerated).
- 91% of plastic waste isn’t recycled. And since most plastics don’t biodegrade in any meaningful sense, all that plastic waste could exist for hundreds or even thousands of years.
- One million plastic bottles are bought every minute around the world — and that number will top half a trillion by 2021. Less than half of those bottles end up getting recycled.
- Plastic in the oceans is believed to break down into very small segments. Each of these pieces of plastic from a one liter bottle could spread to each and every mile of beach all through the world.
- There is more microplastic in the ocean than there are stars in the Milky Way.
Does this make you think twice about what you are consuming? Better yet, what you are buying in which you will eventually be throwing away? If everyone you know recycled more, in a year that could add up to multiple tons of plastic that will not end up in our oceans!
The next time you say "it's only one bottle I am throwing away and not recycling" that one bottle could live for the next thousand years. That is only ONE bottle!
By doing your part in recycling your plastic bottles, you alone are not contributing to the tons of plastic bottles that will end up in our ocean this year.